Friday, September 21, 2012

What is the Finnish climate like in October

What is the Finnish climate like in October?
I'm going to be living in Finland for 10 months as of August, and my family are thinking about coming over to visit me in October. The trouble is that they'd be bringing young children with them and they're worried about it being too cold. I've read somewhere that it averages at about 9 degrees in October. Is that true? What is the coldest it is likely to be, and what is the warmest? Thanks in advance =] Edit: I forgot to mention that I'll be living in the Helsinki area =]
Other - Europe - 2 Answers
Random Answers, Critics, Comments, Opinions :
1 :
Tell them not to worry about the kids - lots of Finnish kids live there and they don't freeze to death... The cold of the Nordic countries is often exaggerated in the minds of other people, I believe. It's actually a maritime climate where the winters seldom get esp. cold, except for in the mountains (and Helsinki is far from any mountains). It's usually much colder in wintertime when your further inland (like deep in Russia or Minnesota). October in Helsinki can be very different - it could be windy, rainy or it could be lovely, sunny autumn days, but it's not likely it will be particularly cold... Another thing is that houses are built to suit the climate. If I go to England in wintertime, I think it's usually cold indoors , but I would never worry about that staying at home or going to Finland.
2 :
October in Helsinki °C (°F) Record high: 17.5 (64) Average high: 8.6 (47) Average low: 3.8 (39) Record low: −11.6 (11)





Read more discussions :

Search News