Tuesday, September 7, 2010

why do Sweden and Finland not get along

why do Sweden and Finland not get along?
I was listening to this song called "I'm in love with a robot" one artist is from Sweden and the other is from Finland the comments on the video were just arguments between Sweden and Finland I live in the U.S. but i have been to both, they seemed very similar, maybe i don't know the history,but could someone explain it to me? I just don't see the point.
Other - Europe - 6 Answers
Random Answers, Critics, Comments, Opinions :
1 :
Something you have to take into account is that countries do not have personalities it´s people who may like or dislike something. Finland used to be part of the Sweden Kingdom.. that´s the reason why Swedish is mandatory in Finland something that many finns don´t like complaining that they should learn a language that´s more useful. I don´t think it´s a feeling they all have, but being neighboring countries there´s a lot of tension when it comes to certain topics, the same happens with US/Canada, Scotland/England, Germany/France, and so on.
2 :
Sweden and Finland generally do get along. Not that countries themselves can like or hate eachother, but the people in them. Generally swedes and finns like eachother though. People on the internet have a habit of flaming each-other though, and arguing over the smaller things
3 :
Finland and Sweden don't hate it's other. Here we call it tiff between brothers. Finland was party of Sweden centuries ago so they have similar culture but different languages. There is now just this "they always think they do it better" but it's just a friendly little argument :) So long history but after all we are very much alike and friends. Or really we hate each other only one time in year and that is the hockey world cup, Finland vs Sverige! (And at last a little joke: What Finland and Norway have in common? Hard east neighbour!!)
4 :
@ Matt8 I'm French and I didn't know the French had a problem with Germans... ? Though the Brits and Italians don't like us too much..... :D
5 :
There is NO feud whatsoever between Sweden and Finland, only Swedes tell jokes about Finns and vice versa!
6 :
It's a sad reality that some Finns and Swedes are too ignorant to get along. It may be because I'm Finnish-American, and not fully Finnish, but I personally love Swedes. They're nice, funny, and intelligent. I have many friends from Finland, and some of them are Swedes that simply live in the country. Others are Fenno-Swedes, while still others are full Finnish. I think they're all great. The reason why Finns feel animosity towards Swedes is that Finland used to belong to Sweden, and Finland is still kind of bitter about being treated like second-class citizens, only useful to the Swedes when in war (Finns assimilated quite possibly the best army in Europe, as shown by the Winter War, and even when they fought for Sweden against the Germans when Finland still belonged to Sweden). Finland has much the same feelings towards Russia, after being owned by them; however, ask anyone that knows me and they will tell you that I LOVE Russia. :D All of my friends from Finland love Russia and Sweden as well; Finnish girls tend to be more friendly toward their neighboring countries than the men, though this is generalizing. My dad and grandpa are both Finnish and like Swedes and Russians. It is true that Finns are treated as second-class citizens in Sweden (Again, Finns tend to have less money, as their economy is quite socialized), but I've never met a Swedish person that's treated me badly, and I know many Swedes. The Finns and Swedes that don't get along in modern times are mostly pigheaded, stupid jerks stuck in the past. ;D However, I must tell you, both Finns and Swedes HATE to be compared to each other, and if you call their cultures similar they can and will refute it passionately. ;D





Read more discussions :

Search News