Monday, November 1, 2010

Is there a way to find out if I have living relatives in Finland

Is there a way to find out if I have living relatives in Finland?
I have been trying to use Ancestry.com to trace my family history back to the Finnish roots and then go forward to see if I have Finnish relatives living today, but I can't seem to figure out that website without having to pay. I would like to know if I have any living Finnish relatives (My great, great grandparents came straight from Finland to the United States), as I am interested in traveling there someday.
Genealogy - 4 Answers
Random Answers, Critics, Comments, Opinions :
1 :
I would suggest you get together all your records and information about your x2 great grandfather...such as when he arrived in the US from where which you will have as you say he "came straight from Finland to the United States" so you will have done the research to find this out and register on the one of many free forums/message boards in the Finnish section and ask for some specific information, such as " I will be happy to hear from others who are researching this family"...and you are likely to have people contact you.............................. Rootsweb, rootschat and others do forums/message boards
2 :
You could very well have Finnish relatives and many may have different surnames than your Finnish ancestor. http://www.rootsweb.ancestry.com/~finwgw/
3 :
You could post your question to The FInlander Forum http://finlander.genealogia.fi/ The Finnish Genealogical Sociaty maintains the forum for that purpose. You have to register, of course, but it does not cost anything.
4 :
You'd need to know the full names, birthplaces,date of births or years and where they lived. It is not tough to find that information as it is all in the records and i suspect back in those days they had to be recorded somewhere in the church records at least when they were born, when they got married and such. If that is found it is not very hard to trace their family tree up to these days. More current records can be found from the registry office (maistraatti, väestörekisteri) and most information is public unless they've hidden their information. Then of course if you know their names, their public phone numbers are easily obtained from number search.





Read more discussions :

Search News