Tuesday, July 21, 2009

Is Finland a good place to live

Is Finland a good place to live?
I'm currently a student but would like to travel and live all over the world, specificaly Europe. I would like to live in Finland because I enjoy Finnish rock music and Finnish metal music very much. Can anyone fill me in on what it is like to live in Finland or if it a good idea? I plan to graduate with a bachelors in International studies and Writing, will there be any job opportunities for me? I know that a larger percentage of the younger people speak English but should I still try to learn Finnish? Any information is very welcome and if you can answer these questions I would be very grateful Do the Finnish like Americans? How easy is it for an American to live in Finland? Where is agood place for a young person to live? How expensive is it to live in Finland? How safe is it for a young woma to live on her own? What are the laws for bringing animals from other countries to live in Finland? Is it easy to meet people? If I am going to visit how much can I expect to pay?
Other - Europe - 4 Answers
Random Answers, Critics, Comments, Opinions :
1 :
Greetings from Finland! Well, nothing special about living in Finland, it's not more magical than anywhere else in Europe although we do have all four seasons here and the Santa Claus lives in Lapland! The economical recession is upon us Finns too at the moment, so do take this into consideration if planning to move/study/work here! Also, although tourists manage well by speaking only English, to get a job it is a must to have at least some skills in Finnish language. Finland is a relatively safe place, at least a lot safer than the USA so no worries about that! Anyway, here are some general websites about Finland and Finns for you to read, they tell you much more than what I can tell you here: http://finland.fi/Public/default.aspx http://www.finnguide.fi http://voices.washingtonpost.com/finlanddiary/ http://www.visitfinland.com/web/guest/finland-guide/home;jsessionid=023FF422B355D2B4BF11B0756B0775E1.liferay011 Good luck, whatever your decision is!
2 :
I am not a Finn but have travelled there twice and will answer as best as I can. I found Finland to be a beautiful country, most everyone I have ever met from there was very nice and proud of their history and language. Job opportunities I am not sure because I have only been there as a tourist, but chances are it's like other European countries in that priority goes to citizens, if for no other reason that they speak the local language. Finnish isn't impossible to learn but it is a challenge. I know of an older person who has lived in Helsinki for many years despite speaking little finnish but I would absolutely suggest learning how to do so yourself. Now as far as your questions go: 1) When in Europe I typically use my french passport (my dad was born there and I speak it fluently) and made an effort to learn some basic finnish phrases, so I wasn't seen as the typical North American who rarely even learns to say thank you. ('kiitos', in case you're wondering) 2) As said earlier, I have only travelled there, not lived. Helsinki is big enough to have most anything you need, and Tampere and Turku are pretty big cities too, relative to the population of the country anyway. 3) Until you are at least proficient in finnish I'd recommend living in the city. Any of the 3 that I listed above are nice - I am most familiar with Helsinki and have several friends living in the area. 4) For living I am not sure - visiting is quite expensive but I would imagine salaries help to offset it somewhat. 5) Like anywhere you should watch out for yourself. But as far as crime goes I saw virtually none, much less than in continental Europe. 6) No idea, best to check with local authorities on that one. 7) Some finns are shy, many others are outgoing. Again being able to communicate in their language is a great icebreaker. 8) Depends on how long you go for, where you want to go, for how long, what kind of traveller you are (Do you expect to stay at the Intercontinental or the youth hostel? Bus / train travel, or with a chauffeur?) It's all a matter of perspective.
3 :
Finland has a good standing in many international comparisons of national performance such as the share of high-technology manufacturing and health care. Is a great country, very friendly people. Finland has a humid and cool semi continental climate. The climate type in southern Finland is a northern temperate climate. Finland has a highly industrialized free-market economy with a per capita output equal to that of other western economies such as France, Germany, Belgium or the UK.
4 :
I don't think Finns especially like or hate americans but of course as a foreigner you may feel a bit like a stranger sometimes. Of course Finns tend to be quite reserved but you'll learn to like your own privacy. You could just stay here, not knowing anyone and it wouldn't raise any suspicions. You learn to respect silence, it's not impolite to be quiet in here at all. You'd get along pretty well, no need to learn finnish if you don't want to. For more information about immigration to Finland, check http://www.migri.fi/netcomm/Default.asp?language=EN I recommend any larger city, such as Helsinki and Tampere. There are some good cheap flight connections from Tampere to Germany,UK,Ireland,Latvia and Italy by Ryanair. Animals are quarantined for many months and it may be stressful for your pet. Give it to your parent's care or something. I'd say that bachelor's degree from US university is kind of useless in here. Eventhough job opportunities may seem very limited you could try asking some american companies who operate in Finland. Of course it's safe for a young woman to live alone. No problem. I suggest that you try staying in Finland for couple of months during the summer. Getting any employment in here is very unsure so you need lots of money too. Rents are high and so are other expenses if you compare with US. Typical salaries aren't even enough for living.. so everything pretty much just goes.





Read more discussions :

Search News